I found this casserole on Pinterest and it sounded great – just prepare the night before, then wake up to an already cooked breakfast! I deviated a bit too much from the original recipe, and I wouldn’t recommend doing that. I’m sure if you followed the instructions, it would be great, but mine didn’t hold together very well. It still tasted alright, but definitely wasn't the prettiest of dishes.
We only had 7 eggs, so I halved the milk, cheese, and potatoes. I think my mistake was not halving the veggies as well – the extra tomato, onion, and pepper made it a bit too liquidy.
The original recipe used a package of Potatoes O’Brien (potatoes with onions and peppers). We instead used fresh onions and peppers with shredded potatoes. I thought that having fresh vegetables would be a good thing, but it just didn’t give it the right consistency.
I’d also recommend cooking it in a larger crock pot so it doesn’t turn out so thick.
I’m sharing the original recipe below – if anyone tries this out, let me know how it goes!
Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole (adapted from Fav Family Recipes)
- 12-15 breakfast sausage links
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (2 lbs) potatoes o’brien
- 1 tomato
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Brown sausage until cooked through and cut into pieces (I had sausage patties instead of links...)
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with milk, then season with salt and pepper.
3. Stir in the sausage, potatoes o’brien, tomato, and cheese (mine above shows the fresh veggies. I also reserved a handful of cheese to put on top).
4. Spray a crock pot with cooking spray and pour the mixture in. Top with remaining cheese.
5. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
I enjoyed mine with a Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte (in a beautiful mug my ceramicist cousin Ashley made!)