I made S’mores Brownies with Ghost Peeps for our friend Scott’s Halloween party tomorrow. For this throwback Thursday, I’m sharing treats that I’ve made past years! (Along with a recipe for this year’s brownies…)
For James & Roberto’s party last year, I made chocolate skeleton & mummy cookies (adapted from the blog Created By Diane)
For their party in 2012, I made chocolate mummy & spider cupcakes (adapted from Skinny Taste and Bakerella).
I didn’t bake anything in 2011, but I did carve a pumpkin for my doorstep!
I actually carved 2 pumpkins in 2010 (the first pretty one with the haunted house reacted badly to the paint & rotted before Halloween…)
That year I also made a cookie cake with peanuts, M&Ms, and icing decorated with spider rings.
Back in 2009, we threw a Heroes & Villains themed party at my college apartment. I baked the same chocolate spider cupcakes as I made in 2012, but with red Twizzler legs and marshmallow eyes.
Below is the recipe for this year. If you’re planning to make this, stock up on the ghost Peeps early – I only had 1 package, and it turns out that the day before Halloween they are out of stock everywhere. Ideally, your ghosts would cover the entire top of the brownie pan…
Ghostly S’mores Brownies: (adapted from Home is Where the Boat Is)
- 12 Ghost shaped Peeps (I only had 9)
- Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs (1/3 of a box)
- 2 T sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Mix butter, graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and salt, then press evenly over the bottom of a well-greased 8x8” pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
2. Pour brownie batter on top of the graham cracker crust and bake according to directions.
3. In the last 5 minutes of baking, add a layer of chocolate chips to help the Peeps stick to the brownies.
4. Place your Peep ghosts on top of the brownies and broil very briefly until slightly toasted.
5. The Peep’s faces will melt away in the oven, so after you take them out, replace the eyes and mouth with mini chocolate chips. Then enjoy!