This post could really be an advertisement for how much we love Trader Joe’s…we really do. Although it was just thrown together with random ingredients we found in our fridge, it turned out to be an excellent meal.
Roast Beef Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions
· Whole wheat bread
· Sliced roast beef (ours was Applegate brand from Trader Joe’s)
· Smoked Gouda cheese, sliced (also from Trader Joe’s)
· ½ onion, sliced
· Handful of kale, stems removed
· 2 T butter
· 1 T extra virgin olive oil
· 1 tsp brown sugar
1. In a small skillet, melt the olive oil and 1 T butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and a dash of salt & pepper. Stir constantly until onions begin to brown (about 5 minutes).
2. Stir in the brown sugar and continue to cook, stirring constantly until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes (we probably only did it for 10 so ours were only slightly caramelized...) In the last few minutes, add the kale to wilt. Remove from heat.
3. In a larger skillet, melt the remaining butter on medium heat. Add slices of bread.
4. When one side of the bread is toasted, flip to the other side and rub the toasted sides with pesto. Add the cheese, roast beef, and the onion/kale mixture, and then cover with a lid.
We enjoyed ours with Charles Shaw Blend Shiraz from Trader Joe’s (aka “Two Buck Chuck). We aren’t wine experts, but this $2 wine is actually very good in my opinion. In this blind taste test, a sommelier tried several wines from Trader Joe’s and said a comparable wine could easily be sold for $9 to $11 dollars. We usually grab a bottle or two whenever we shop there.