Pork chops were buy-one-get-one-free at Winn Dixie this week, so we’ve got more than we know what to do with now. Last night I tried out a new recipe. I’ve had pork with apples before, but this one also used a bottle of hard apple cider to infuse it with even more apple flavor. It only took a few minutes to throw together.
The alcohol cooks away, but if you could use just plain apple cider or juice if you’d like too (I didn’t want a whole 6-pack of cider, so I just picked up one bottle from ABC…they probably thought it was weird that I only bought that…)
Hard Apple Cider Pork Chops (adapted from Aggie’s Kitchen)
· Thin boneless pork loin chops (we cooked 5)
· 1 t salt
· 1 t pepper
· 1½ t fresh rosemary
· 1 t garlic powder
· 2 Golden Delicious apples, chopped into large chunks
· 1 red onion, chopped
· 1 yellow onion (or we used 2 small ones), chopped
· 1 12-oz bottle apple cider
· Drizzle of olive oil
1. Mix together salt, pepper, rosemary and garlic powder together in a small bowl. Season both sides of the pork chops generously.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the pork chops on the pan and cook for 4 minutes, or until chops are golden brown. Cook on the other side for an additional 4 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
3. Put the sliced onions and apples in the skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in part of the hard cider (about ¼ cup) and deglaze pan while tossing the apples and onions.
4. Add rest of the cider and let simmer for 5 minutes uncovered until the liquid starts to reduce. Add the pork chops back to the skillet and cover. Turn off heat and let sit 1-2 minutes.
5. Serve pork chops and top with the apple and onion mixture. We enjoyed ours with a simple salad (we had lots of veggies in our fridge we had to use up!)