We had our 4th annual Secret Santa Christmas party with our friends last night. It was potluck style and we actually had a really awesome variety of food this year (it seems like lots of our potlucks end up being only desserts). I made almond-coated cheese balls that looked like pinecones and dipped strawberries in white chocolate with festive sprinkles. Both these recipes were really easy – so if you’re looking for something to bring to Christmas dinner, try one (or both!) of these out!
Pine Cone Cheese Ball (adapted from Chicabug)
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (the original recipe called for mayonnaise, which I always substitute for yogurt in recipes)
- 6 strips bacon
- ¼ cup white cheddar cheese
- 1 T chopped green onion
- 1 t chopped dill weed
- ½ t pepper
- 1-1/4 cup whole almonds, toasted
1. Cook your bacon until crispy.
2. Combine the cream cheese and yogurt (you can use a food processor or blender, but I used my KitchenAid mixer…) Stir in the cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, green onion, dill, and pepper. Cover and chill overnight.
3. Shape the cheese into two pinecone shapes on a serving platter. Starting at the narrow end, place toasted almonds into the cheese at a slight angle, forming rows. Garnish with rosemary and serve with crackers.
- White chocolate chips
1. Wash strawberries and allow to dry completely.
2. I used a makeshift double boiler to melt the white chocolate chips evenly without burning. Boil water in a small saucepan with a glass bowl fitted on top. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until completely melted.
3. Dip the strawberries into the white chocolate, then into sprinkles. Let cool on a parchment paper lined sheet.
You may want to make extra of these strawberries. These were eaten almost immediately when we got to the party!